12.01.2007

Making Paste Paper


Can it actually be three weeks since I've posted? It surprises me too. I've been working on a marketing project and also very actively involved in a volunteer project. Of the time left over, I've been spending as much of it as I can in my studio, making books to meet some deadlines. This'll be the state of affairs for the new few months, so for the duration I'll be here less often than I used to -- but I'll try not to let it stretch out much longer than a week without a post.

Earlier this fall, a local arts center asked my friend, Carol, to teach a class in making paste paper. She asked me to help her with the class, so she and I have had a couple of paste paper-making sessions over the last couple of months. Carol makes beautiful traditional paste paper, which she uses primarily as end papers for her books. I've never been much interested in making paste paper (although I admire the work of those, like Carol, who do it well), perhaps because the results seem a little too controlled. That's probably why my own paste paper designs are less traditional --less uniform and generally messier. Here are some photos of the results of our most recent session -- unfortunately, my photos include a fair amount of glare and don't do the papers justice. Most of these are Carol's; a few are mine. Enjoy.










4 comments:

Riverlark said...

Nice to hear from you BG! There are some lovely designs here. I had a bad paste paper experience a few years back and haven't been much drawn to it, but I could see going back to it now!

random notes said...

That's awesome paste paper. Was Marney in your class? She showed us some that she did recently and it rocked! We still need to follow up with your friend for the book class here at Random Arts. time just flies when you're having fun.
After the holidays for sure.
Jane

iHanna said...

I read a tutorial about this recently but I haven't tried it. Both your papers looks great - I so want to try. I'm thinking these papers would be great as collage elements too, right?

bookyeti said...

I know I'm a bit late with this, but I just want to say your paste paper is BEAUTIFUL. :)